IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS testing methodologies

From: "Sam f. Stover" <sstover () atrc sytexinc com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:24:12 -0500

On Tuesday, December 30, 2003, at 02:42 PM, Henrik Falkenthros, direktoer wrote:

Hi List !

I'm trying to find out ways of testing different IDS systems; is there a 'recommended'/best practise methodology for testing Network based IDS (NIDS)
? Any information - papers, tools, links and own experience are much
appreciated,,, 8-)

cheers, Henrik Falkenthros

The best baseline methodology IMHO is OSEC from Neohapsis:

http://osec.neohapsis.com/

I'm biased because I contributed to the methodology, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong... ;-). Lot's of people contributed to it, and I think it's a very vendor-neutral process that was built w/ the customer in mind, not the vendor.

I don't think you need a ton of high-end gear to implement most of the tests yourself, or at least get an idea of tests that apply to your environment. The main exception would be the high-end bandwidth tests which use some expensive traffic generators.

hth.
____
S.f.Stover
sstover () atrc sytexinc com