IDS mailing list archives

RE: Alarm response strategies

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:27:23 -0400

I completely agree that you can have reactive systems.  With regard to how
this differs from an IPS, however, look at my post to the thread titled "IPS
Futures".  An IPS is significantly different from an IDS with active
response enabled, and I feel a lot more comfortable with how they behave.
But be mindful that even these are largely nascent technologies that even
now can be a headache.  And I'm not sure quite what your point was about the
firewall...

As for "smart reactive system," define "smart."  Obviously things can be set
up incorrectly, but what's the other end of the spectrum?  As far as a true
IDS, I can't recall one that I've worked with that I would trust with that
capability as of yet.  What I do see happening is for IPS and IDS to
converge to some degree, so that we can have the larger alert capability of
an IDS combined with the proactive (couldn't think of a better word to
offset reactive...just plain active, perhaps?) capability of an inline IPS.
This would give variable options for reacting to various types of attacks,
as well as more flexibility to configure the overall system to meet one's
needs.