IDS mailing list archives

Re: ssh and ids

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:11:16 -0400

On Jun 22, 2004, at 9:56 AM, Adam Powers wrote:

Regarding: "Hacker busts into your network and sets
up an SSH server, RNA picks it up and can let you know that it detected
a new service and logs the flow data, etc."

But you can't stop with simple "port profiling". StealthWatch has had this technology for years and we've found that the same problems you run into with IDS alerting is seen when attempting to truly profile and react to each new service entering the network. StealthWatch even takes it a step further and allows you profile outbound "client" traffic if you wish (in addition to
server ports). Still, this is a classic "needle in a haystack" problem.
Sure, the data that identifies the attack is there, but it's useless because
you can't find it.

We're not seeking to detect the attack with RNA, that's what our IDS product is for, we're looking for the configuration management/security policy violation that's indicated by the observed activity, not looking for statistical anomalies or even protocol anomalies from within RNA.

Port profiling has to be augmented with other more intelligent techniques to
expose the important data.

RNA doesn't just do "port profiling". The detection of a new active port/service/protocol/server/etc may indicate activity that should be analyzed by our policy compliance analysis stage on our management console (now called the Sourcefire Defense Center). The result of this analysis can then be leveraged to provide whatever kind of response the user in interested in.

Sure, StealthWatch can be configured to alarm when a new port shows up, but
the real power of the port profiling is seen during the flow analysis
process. StealthWatch uses the port profile data to determine how network
traffic should be analyzed. An example includes a DNS related ICMP Port
Unreachables. When StealthWatch recognizes a host as being a DNS server, it immediately begins applying flow analysis algorithms that are suitable for
analysis of DNS traffic.

We also have flow analysis capability in addition to the capabilities we're developing for our IDS technology to bring forth a true target-based detection mechanism that can be leveraged on both the deterministic (IDS) proactive detection side and the nondeterministic (RNA) policy compliance side of the coin.

I believe that the original poster wanted to know if there was a system out there capable of isolating this kind of activity on the network for backdoor detection, sounds like both of our products can perform that function to some degree.

     -Marty

--
Sourcefire: Intelligent Security Monitoring
roesch () sourcefire com - http://www.sourcefire.com