IDS mailing list archives

RE: BARE BYTE UNICODE ENCODING

From: Omar Herrera <oherrera () prodigy net mx>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:57:21 -0600

Annie,

Any alert that checks for patterns at application level will trigger
with ACK packets.

SYN packets are only used to initiate the connection
(three-way-handshake) and therefore have no application payload. ACK
packets carry payload (HTTP in this case) and are used to exchange data
over TCP (ACK+PSH packets are also common).

There should have been a SYN packet at the beginning, but your IDS will
not trigger on it unless it had some type of irregularity.

Regards,

Omar

 What does it mean if the packet that trigger this alert is the TCP
"ACK"
 packet. When I traced back, I couldn't find the "SYN" packet.  Is
this
 always the case that any packet that cause "BARE BYTE UNICODE
ENCODING"
 is
 the ACK packet?

 Regards,