IDS mailing list archives

RE: Suggestions

From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley () eeye com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:34:08 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Rishikesh Pande [mailto:rpande () vt edu]
Sent: Saturday, May 29, 2004 7:16 AM
To: Clint Bodungen
Cc: Thiago dos Santos Guzella; focus-ids () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: Suggestions

You may want to look at some of the research done by Matthew
Williamson
at HP labs. They introduced the concept of virus throttling,
which does
not involve any AI logic but still is *proven* to be effective for
known and unknown threats.

He has some very interesting papers, thanks for the link.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2002/HPL-2002-172.html

Quote:
"This paper presents an approach to restricting this high speed
propagation automatically. The approach is based on the observation that
during virus propagation, an infected machine will connect to as many
different machines as fast as possible. An uninfected machine has a
different behaviour: connections are made at a lower rate, and are
locally correlated (repeat connections to recently accessed machines are
likely). "

We utilized exactly this detection system, with api detection features,
in our local honeypot kits. Never read his papers before, it is just
obvious. It is smart and it works.

It doesn't use AI, you are correct, one could say. One could also say
otherwise, depending on one's definition of "AI". Of course, his
throttling
and his detection of virus activity are really two entirely different
things, though.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Matthew_Williamson/publications.htm

Throttling seems to be how he handles virii, or more specifically,
worms,
whereas he detects them from their spreading mechanism. (I have always
been against the grain and felt that slow, stealthy worms are far more
dangerous then fast, "warhol" type of worms, personally).

This is just for worm behavior, it might be noted. It is a bit like port
detection for trojans. Such a model might be adapted to PE infecting
worms, though at that stage you would probably be needing to do some
api hooking for detection, anyway.

It is effective because of the frequency of attacks of the same
old worms and because they all are in such a hurry to propagate wildly.

Of course, there are ways of flying under
the radar, but then the effectiveness of the worm will decrease.

I have always disagreed with mainstream thought that visible worms
are the most dangerous.

I understand their appeal.

Historically, stealth and destruction tend to go together. Genghis
Khan was able to destroy some pretty cities because of stealth and
misdirection. The end product may have appeared all "shock and awe",
but that was only possible because of stealth.

Fundamentally, stealth and destruction go together... so it should
be considered an inevitable - if not always actual - component
of protection.

Though I personally like the concept of A.I. being used for
intrusion
prediction, I have not seen a good prediction logic yet.
Though it may
simply be the task of putting it all together and coming up with a
better system by simply borrowing from several different ideas.
Rishi