IDS mailing list archives

Re: Need help to choose a security policy

From: embyte <embyte () madlab it>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 21:42:55 +0200

On Friday 07 May 2004 14:05, CEDRIC CASSIN wrote:
It seems to correspond with my point of view. For example, I see that SMTP
traffic is allowed, I look for all the signatures that check attack through
this service and then make my choice among these signatures depending on my
network architecture ( OS, Software etc) . This will fit my needs and
decrease logs. Am I Right?

BUT...for example, I have a lots of alerts of SQL slammer Worms but there
is no accept rule on the firewall. So I know that the firewall will block
them. It's a evidence for me that I shouldn't pay attention to this attack.
This attack will not go in the internal network, but is it interesting to
keep track of this as an information about possible intruders?
Should it be considered as noise like scan and so on ? ( too much data to
be manageable) Is it simply a scan attack so not necessarily against us and
not really relevant ?

This is an old problem, the most significant of IDS.
The most modern IDS place side by side standard IDS with systems of network/
services/OS discoverers and vulnerability assestment. With correlation and
event contextualization you can strongly reduce false positive which make log
reading easier.
These software take the name of "target-based IDS" conied by Martin Roesch in
2000. You can read the discussion about target-based IDS in list archive:
http://seclists.org/lists/focus-ids/2004/Jan/0044.html
and here:
http://infosecuritymag.techtarget.com/ss/0,295796,sid6_iss306_art540,00.html
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/searchSecurity/downloads/
FinalSnyder_12804.ppt

and if you know italian language
http://www.madlab.it/slides/ids_hkm04.pdf :)

see you
Embyte
--
Computer Science belongs to all Humanity!