IDS mailing list archives

Re: Testing IDS/IPS Signatures

From: Andrea Barisani <lcars () infis univ trieste it>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 17:56:13 +0200

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 06:30:44PM -0800, Securecatalyst wrote:
Hi All,

I want to learn if anyone knows any particular tool or product to test and
validate IDS/IPS rules and signatures?

I know Snot / Stick / Mucus-1 can do a good job however they can not test
the signatures when the IDS/IPS does a stateful-inspection. They simpy
import the SNORT signatures into packet and inject into the NW to test the
rules. However, they do not establish TCP 3-way handshake and stateful
engines (specifically for TCP, not UDP/ICMP) simply ignore them.

Hi, you can take a look at FTester:

http://ftester.sourceforge.net

--
INFIS Network Administrator & Security Officer         .*.
Department of Physics       - University of Trieste     V