IDS mailing list archives

Re: TippingPoint Releases Open Source Code for FirstIntrusionPrev ention Test Tool, Tomahawk

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:21:50 -0500

I'm the original author of Snort as well as the founder of Sourcefire (yes, it is called Sourcefire, I also came up with the name). What TippingPoint has released is basically tcpreplay with some connection testing functionality from what I can see. It's good to see them contributing to the open source community! Sourcefire makes Snort-based sensor and management infrastructure as well as cool technology like RNA, IDS is a component of what we do but not the whole sum of our offering.

Sourcefire continues to innovate in the IDS arena and contribute those innovations back to the open source security community. If you look at the development history of Snort over the past ~4 years since Sourcefire was founded you will see that we are dedicated to keeping the open source community on the cutting edge of Snort development. Recent examples include our new portscan detector and target-based defragmentation system that were developed internally at Sourcefire with Sourcefire dollars and then freely contributed back to the OSS community.

As far as pcaps are concerned, pcaps in a vacuum don't really add a whole lot beyond just testing basic detection capabilities. You need to have real high grade network testing equipment like the stuff Spirent makes so that you can develop normalized, repeatable test environments in which to test detection capabilities. Measuring latency, throughput, etc is also best done in an environment where you can setup repeatable test environments or at least where you can setup repeatable baseline environments to transmit your pcaps over the top of. Tcpreplay doesn't meet this requirement particularly well all by itself, nor will the TippingPoint software.

Greg Shipley and the Neohapsis guys can comment on this stuff better than I, but one thing that I've learned from building Sourcefire for the past ~4 years is that testing gigabit IDS/IPS systems requires considerable expertise and infrastructure if you want to do anything more than just test basic detection capability.

     -Marty