IDS mailing list archives

Snort signature packet generator: Thanks

From: Graeme Connell <gconnell () middlebury edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:45:00 -0500

To all who sent me links to programs generating packets from snort signatures: Thanks a bunch. I've got more than enough programs to start myself off with now. For those of you with the same question as me, here's a rundown of what I've received:

<blatant copy-paste>

Snot: http://www.stolenshoes.net/sniph/index.html

Stick: http://www.eurocompton.net/stick/projects8.html
         http://www.securityfocus.com/tools/1974

Blade's IDS Informer: http://www.blade-software.com/IDSInformer.htm

FPG: http://www.geschke-online.de/FLoP/

Nemesis: http://nemesis.sourceforge.net/

Sneeze: http://www.securiteam.com/tools/5DP0T0AB5G.html

Mucus: http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/%7Ersg/Mucus/index.html

</blatant copy-paste>

Some comments:
I'm not sure if Blade Software's IDS Informer 30-day trial liscence will allow me to use it for research purposes. I've contacted them and am waiting for a response.

As for using Nemisis / Nmap, the problem is that I'm looking to generate very large data sets, and crafting each packet with nemesis would take me the rest of my life. Nmap is a bit too specialized (scanning only).

By the way, I've been trying to download Shmoo Group's Capture the Root-Fu (http://www.shmoo.com/cctf/) to use for the same purpose, but as of yet I'm unable to download through either the Bittorrent or the Http link. Does anyone have this packet dump mirrored anywhere? Or sitting at home collecting dust on a CD?

Once again, thanks for all the help.

                --Graeme

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?