IDS mailing list archives

Re: parsing very large tcpdump files

From: Carlos Henrique P C Chaves <cae () lac inpe br>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:58:45 -0200

Hy Tom,

i'm a brazilian msc candidate and may research is about detecting backdoors and covert channels (tunnels) analysing the
network traffic. We have some dump files
of over than 700MB and the TCP/IP reconstructing tool takes a lot of time to do the job. When i say a lot of time, i'm
talking about more than one day, and this
dump file is related to one hour of traffic of our institution, and we just use the header information for this.
Imagine a full-package reconstruction.
We are focusing on analysing C Class traffics separately, and just some protocols.

The point is: i don't think that is feasable to reconstruct such amount of traffic. I don't know
a open-source/free tool tha would do this. Maybe someone in this list can clear my mind.

One nice step is trying to remove the noise from the dump to reduce its size.

You can use a flow analysis tool, such as Argus, but it won't give you all the information you want.

Best regards,

Carlos Henrique.