IDS mailing list archives

Re: session logging IDS

From: "David W. Goodrum" <dgoodrum () nfr com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 05:50:37 -0400

"Events that led to an intrusion". That doesn't necessarily imply full session logging. For example, NFR can log the existence of all sessions on the network, which is considerably smaller than the actual session. A sample record looks like this (except normally in tabled format):

Time:               30-Aug-2004 09:35:12
NFR:                home-nid
Start Time (in seconds since the epoch):1093872886
Source Address:     10.0.1.215
Source Port:        2106
Destination Address:65.202.219.131 (support.nfr.com)
Destination Port:   443
Total Bytes:        18534
Client Bytes:       5002
Server Bytes:       13532

Most Network IDS vendors will have some form of "General recording" such as this.

This can be very useful in determine what an attacker did leading up to an attack. It won't get you the raw materials though. If you flat need all the raw data, I'd recomend tcpdump. But, like I said, tcpdump can be a lot of information on a fast network. I hope you buy a big hard drive.

Raj Malhotra wrote:

Hi

we definitely agree with david's and your observation that session
logging is not the goal of an IDS. But we would like to know the
events that led to a successful intrusion and not just whether an
intrusion took place or not. We will not be able to formulate better
policies if we are unaware of the sequence of events that leed to an
intrusion.

could you please suggest some tools for session logging?

thanks