IDS mailing list archives

Re: ASIC Based IPS

From: Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:24:24 -0400

On Apr 1, 2005 7:39 PM, Brian Smith <bsmith () tippingpoint com> wrote:
Hi Tim!  Good post; let me add my 2 cents.

The key to performance is parallelism, and processing network data is an
inherently (and extremely) parallel problem.
FPGAs are the way to go, for now.

Hi Brian,

You briefly mentioned network processors in your post, but prefer
FPGAs.  Would you (and anyone else) care to comment on NPs vs FPGAs?

Also, do you or anyone else have experience developing on Cloudshield?
 Any idea what Cloudshield uses under the hood?  I see they are
working with Arbor.

Thank you,

Richard
http://www.taosecurity.com

Stop hurting your network!

The NeVO passive vulnerability sensor continuously finds vulnerabilities,
applications and new hosts without the need for network scanning.
It also finds compromised systems with application-based intrusion detection.
Go to http://www.tenablesecurity.com/products/nevo.shtml to learn more.