IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS technology question.

From: Richard Bejtlich <taosecurity () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:12:39 -0400

On 8/30/05, THolman () toplayer com <THolman () toplayer com> wrote:
Hi David,

A standard PCI bus (PCI-X, 133Mhz) is only capable of 1.06Gbps.  This means
530Mbs in, and 530Mbs out, not taking into account things like hard-disks,
logging/reporting and any packet inspection, which only serve to pull this
number down further.
It is architecturally impossible for a standard Intel platform to attain a
throughput of anything higher than 530Mbs, let alone the 2Gpbs you claim
below?
A further explanation of these figures may help clear things up?

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

I do not build these systems for a living (like your company does),
but I think you're quoting numbers for a standard 32 bit 33 MHz PCI
bus (32 x 33 = 1056 Mbps).  That's a theoretical maximum; users report
something like 200-300 Mbps in production.  The lowest-end PCI-X can
handle more.  I've seen user reports in the 500-600 Mbps range.

Sincerely,

Richard

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.