IDS mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Shellcode - McAfee IPS Protection

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 19:07:10 -0400

On Aug 8, 2005, at 1:22 PM, Ron Gula wrote:

I think most of them are relying on existing technology. For example,
a quick check of snort.org and bleedingsnort.org didn't have any new
cisco-specific rules, yet there are signatures to detect various Cisco
attacks already.

We stopped looking for shellcode with Snort years ago, we focus our rule development efforts on detection of people exercising the protocols improperly instead of looking for specific signatures whenever possible. Our existing Cisco rules most likely need to have the messages updated from "DoS" to "exploit", that's about it. Playing the shellcode detection game is a dead end unless that's all you've got.

     -Marty

--
Sourcefire - Network Defense for the Real World - http:// www.sourcefire.com Snort: Open Source Intrusion Detection and Prevention - http:// www.snort.org

Test Your IDS