IDS mailing list archives

Re: Specification-based Anomaly Detection

From: Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:04:34 +0100

Ofer Shezaf wrote:

Stefano writes that a host and a port define a listening application and

Well, it's not me, it's the RFC definition of what a socket is :)

"A socket is defined to be the unique identification to or from which
information is transmitted in the network. The socket is specified as a 32
bit number... A socket is also identified by the host in which the sending or receiving processer is located."

1971 vintage ;)

then you carry on about detecting an application automatically.

Something countless papers have been written on.

In some ways this is more similar to HIDS than to NIDS

I would be tempted to define it as an host-based IDS in fact

more commonly used in IDS that we learn the protocol. As the protocol is
defined by the specific programmer at the organization building the web
site, learning it and validating that users are in conformance provides
a layer of security that I'm not sure should be called abnormal behavior
detection in the common IDS terminology.

That's exactly what anomaly detection is :-)

There's an interesting paper by Vigna and Kruegel on the specific theme of web application anomaly detection that you might find worth a read.

Stefano

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.