IDS mailing list archives

Re: newbie quetsions

From: Rainer Duffner <rainer () ultra-secure de>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:45:58 +0100

Julius Detritus wrote:

They are outdated. The most recent exploit tested must be two years old...
They are copy and paste from IDS tests which are far older.

[...]

Do you really care about the phf exploit? Or maybe the old sshutupteo from
gobbles? Are you talking about organizations or museums?

[,,,]

So your exploit database must be very old

This raises the question: when testing IDSs - are the exploits used important ? Do you have to use the latest ? Are the results invalidated by old exploits ? Back when I tested IDSs myself (that's now 4 years ago...), I didn't think it was very important - I made sure, though, that I had various "classes" of attacks (directory-traversal, shellcode/buffer-overflow).

Reproducability is a big problem, too. NSS probably wants test from Q1/04 to be comparable with test from Q1/05, at least to some degree. So I'd say it is - under this objective - mandatory to change as little factors as possible - and that surely includes the exploits and evasion-techniques (though they seem to vary nonetheless).

People flaming NSS should also keep in mind that testing IDSs today is really a battle of materials. Back in late 2000 (when I did the work for my thesis), I could use our training-lab with a dozen (well equipped) PCs and some hubs to get a good picture of the capabilities of half a dozen products. Today, you need a big lab with switches, taps, packet-generators, big servers - and you still can't simulate what it will look like in the real-world with dozens of sensors and remote-locations - costs are probably skyrocketing anyway.

I don't think NSS's test are the Holy Grail - but it cannot be disputed that they have at least a methodically correct approach and re-test old and new products continuously.

If anybody can do better - please stand up now ;-)

cheers,
Rainer

--
~     Rainer Duffner - rainer () ultra-secure de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.