IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS alerts / second - Correlation - Virtualization

From: william taft <willtaft () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:38:55 -0400

I completely agree with Frank here...scanning technologies are
interesting to get a snapshot, but by definition they miss all kinds
of things:

- devices/workstations/servers which are 'off' or offline when the
scan is performed.
- software/servers installed after the scan
- hw positioned behind FWs which might be blocking the scans
- new hw (laptops, etc.) or hw behind a wifi
- partner network links and the hw on that network
- false/poor OS information generated by odd hw configurations/OS tweaks

Also, agree with Frank re: value of detecting compromises.  I'm not a
fan of alerts, but i think it's important to know that an asset had
been subjected to an attack (even if that attack is targeting the
wrong OS/vulnerability/etc.)  maybe it makes more sense to use an
asset database to de-prioritize unsuccessful alerts, but it doesn't
make sense (to me anyway) to not report on an attempted attack...

just my 2 cents.
/will