IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS and Bandwidth

From: Michael Boman <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:38:26 +0800

On 5 Jul 2005 03:46:39 -0000, bhaskar.gupta () tcs com
<bhaskar.gupta () tcs com> wrote:
Dear frendz

I am working as an IDS operator in my company. Due to big size of the organisation, different IDS nodes are
monitoring different centers through a central master node. Since there are lot of incidents ( including false
positives ) generated across the organsation, there is a complaint from our networking team that IDS is consuming lot
of bandwidth over networking

I am really not able to figure out how much IDS can eat up network bandwidth.

Please throw some light on this.

Hi  bhaskar,

While an IDS does not consume any bandwidth in the data acquisition
mode itself, sending the alerts to a central server does take up some
bandwidth - and the more data you need to send (alert size and
frequency), the more bandwidth it consumes.

You can limit this by having the alert collector (central server, as
you call it) as close as possible to the IDS sensor (by using the
notion of LAN bandwidth is cheaper then WAN bandwidth). I would also
trim down as much of the alerts as you can that you really not
interested in. Not only will it save bandwidth and storage, but the
IDS will also work faster and better when it needs to care about less.
However, don't remove too much because then you might miss something
important.

Depending on how timely you want the attacks on the alert collector
you may want to investigate into traffic shaping between IDS sensor
and alert collector, but be aware that less traffic available for
sending alert data = longer latency before you get the bells and
whistles activated on the alert console.

Best regards
  Michael Boman