IDS mailing list archives

RE: ATM decoding

From: Seek Knowledge <aseeker03 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:16:11 +0100 (BST)

I am actually trying to deploy the IDS within the ATM
cloud. That is... between the edge switches and the
distribution switches and/or between the distribuiton
and core.

I already am monitoring at critical ethernet hand-off
points... but there are just way to many ethernet
ports to monitor them all. That's why I was trying to
get placed somewhere that I could get all traffic
without having to tap every port.

Thanks for the response.
-Aseeker

--- PPowenski () oag com wrote:

Are your desktops processing native cell based ATM
traffic i.e. with an
ATM NIC?
Not many companies are making them any longer I
beleive.
not many folks are doing that most use some type of
encapsulation
to/from ethernet.
If your ATM switch is doing assembly / disassembly
that ingress/egress
point would be the best point for your IDS sensor.

Otherwise keeping up with the cell assembly /
disassembly could get
quite hairy for any IDS software even if it could
perform this.