IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS evaluations procedures

From: "Nathan Davidson" <ndavidso () globix com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 12:42:14 -0400

I think you are missing the point - by blocking the traffic we need take no further action. If you allow invalid
traffic into the network you still need to inspect it further to see if it is malicious too!

I understand what you are saying about signature accuracy, but it just isn’t relevant. By reducing the number of
packets that you inspect you can reduce the number of alerts – especially false positives.

Example:

10,000 PPS (packets per sec) of HTTP traffic flows into a network.

100 PPS of these are malicious. An inline IPS discards all HTTP packets not containing www.xyz.com as a host header,
this filters out all non-targeted worm nonsense – lets say 90% of the malicious traffic.

We are now left with only 10% of the of malicious traffic = 10PPS

To make things easier to compare let us say that the IPS and IDS have the SAME signatures/policy and they both identify
all of the malicious traffic:

The IPS will create 10 alerts/sec

The IDS will create 100 alerts/sec

1000 packets inspected. However, by pre-pending a blocking filter the IPS will have fewer packets to inspect and
therefore create fewer false positive alerts.

Bottom line: I don’t care about the false positives that I never see!