IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snortgoing commercial

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:37:25 -0500

Snort's rules are still free for end users to use but commercial redistribution of rules developed at Sourcefire requires a license (i.e. if you're a company that ships Snort as part of a product or service offering you need a commercial redist license if you want to ship the rules that are developed at Sourcefire). End users who want to get early access to rules developed at Sourcefire can now subscribe for a fee.

End users are not required to pay for Snort or Snort rules at all if they don't want to, there's no real onus on the average Snort user at all and they can still get and use the rules for free. Companies that make money on Snort by leveraging Sourcefire's research and development capabilities are being asked to pay a very fair price to distribute our rules. Snort's source code remains open and GPL'd and there is no plan to close it.

Why would anyone's blood be boiling?

    -Marty