IDS mailing list archives

RE: Current state of Anomaly-based Intrusion Detection

From: "Gunnoe, Jason" <Jason.Gunnoe () thomson com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:17:09 -0500

I would have to agree.  Regardless of the newest buzz-word or appliance what I am interested is actionable
intelligence.  Not necessarily spikes, valley's, protocol anomalies etc...

I want what matters.  Typically, that means maintaining the integrity or availability of a given system, and sometimes,
but not as often, re-assuring management that sensitive information assets are safe.

If I see a spike or an "event", and after investigation it results in a "non-event", I've wasted my time and possibly
someone else's.

That's why I think that SourceFire's RNA is headed down the correct IDS/IPS (IPS -- blah, there is a whole different
discussion) path.  In essence, without CONTEXT, traffic patterns and host chatter means absolutely nothing.  The
question remains for this product or p0f/nessus/Qualys/ISS integration etc... is: Are they ready to fingerprint every
asset on every network at the enterprise scale.  When your network nodes range in the 20,000 across the world, using
several networking technologies with support in multiple languages...

You get where I'm going.

I have seen large ISP's implement anomaly technologies on internet backbones, but typically, they are only useful for
identifying large scale malware disruptions before they happen.  They always give the slammer example, which is what, 4
years old now...

Jason Gunnoe CISSP, RHCE
Information Security
Thomson Learning