IDS mailing list archives

RE: How to choose an IDS/FW MSS provider

From: "Andrew Plato" <andrew.plato () anitian com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:42:25 -0800

Honestly, how many people, except security geeks like us, really care what is inside the signatures? Sure, its fun to
look inside them and see what they are keying on, but since ISS signatures are not purely "match this string" kind of
stuff that Snort does, its not that simple. And more importantly, who the heck has time to do that? In the zillions of
Proventias and server sensors I've deployed, I don't think anybody has ever once asked me "gosh, can we see the
signature code." They were to busy running their systems to obsess over the code inside signatures.

I think the "I can't see the signatures, I don't trust them" argument isn't a viable reason to turn down an IPS/IDS
vendor. If it was, then it would put Cisco, Symantec, TippingPoint, and just about everybody else with a
high-performance IPS off the map.

ISS MSS from our experience as an ISS reseller has been positive. But, I am an ISS reseller so I have to say that.
Another that comes to mind is Counterpane.

___________________________________
Andrew Plato, CISSP
President/Principal Consultant
ANITIAN  ENTERPRISE  SECURITY

3800 SW Cedar Hills Blvd, Suite 280
Beaverton, OR 97005
503-644-5656 Office
503-214-8069 Fax
503-201-0821 Mobile
www.anitian.com

GPG fingerprint: 16E6 C5B0 B6CB F287 776E E9A9 AF47 9914 3582 633D
GPG public key available at: http://www.anitian.com/corp/keys.htm