IDS mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability vs. Exploit signatures and IPS??

From: "Ed Gibbs" <ed () digitalconclave com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:00:54 -0700

Jacob,

Vulnerabilities are the flaw, while an exploit is what takes advantage of the vulnerability.

For example, Blaster. The vulnerability was in Microsoft's DCE RPC code, while "Blaster" was the name of the exploit that took advantage of the flaw in the code. When Blaster first hit the net, signature writers were scrambling to develop a signature that would detect it, but kept producing signatures for the exploit, which kept changing, and therefore new signatures were coming out (some as high as 16 different signatures).

TippingPoint is correct in their assertion that writing signatures for the vulnerability is better. Signatures based on exploits run into problems, simply because exploits have variances and can morph, which makes signatures based on the exploit ineffective. However, signatures based on the vulerability typically doesn't change.

Ed Gibbs
IPS Security Technologist
ed () digitalconclave com

Exploit