IDS mailing list archives

RE: SIM Tools, and endpoint security.

From: "Drew Simonis" <simonis () myself com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 12:44:20 -0500

Hi Drew,

I'm referring to Windows File Protection -

This is configurable via Group Policy and offers 100% protection of system
files on the intended target.

Back in the day, I remember being able to trick SFC into replacing with the
wrong file.  I suppose this has been fixed?

..add to this Windows XP SP2, then you've got a pretty rock solid
workstation base that is not open to infection (as the firewall doesn't
allow anything in), and maintains integrity of system files (so malicious
code can't take over the system).

I don't agree with this statement.  There are a few key assumptions.
First, you assume that the only way to become infected is via the network.
That is obviously false, as all of our email worms show.  But, even if it
were true, most workstations allow inbound file sharing via CIFS, which
is a common attack vector and propogation method.  So, client firewalls
don't offer nearly the protection one might wish for unless configured
correctly (not often done in large enterprises).  In addition, the problem
with the Windows file checker is that it doesn't allow for checking of
arbitrary other programs.  So, we have yet another windows only solution,
which is to be expected.  However, it doesn't equate to 100% protection
nor does it obviate the need to install 3rd party tools that offer broader
coverage.

Anyway, malware doesn't need to monkey with the system files to take over
the system.

There's quite a lot more to Microsoft's OS security that often gets
overlooked, and many sysadmins are steered away from this with clever
marcoms and end up buying 3rd party applications to fill the gap.

My point is, be 100% sure that what you've got cannot do what you want,
before you go and buy something else!  ;)

All said, a good point.  I'd add to be sure what you want before looking
for products.

-Ds

--
Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.