IDS mailing list archives

RE: RPC Evasion techniques

From: "Palmer, Paul (ISSAtlanta)" <PPalmer () iss net>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:19:19 -0500

I would like to make a comment on that paper you cited as it relates to
the test results.

I am impressed by the authors' technology. I believe they are helping to
advance the state of the art in IDS/IPS testing. However, ISS has been
unable to reproduce the results that the authors describe with recent
products. I believe that the authors were using older versions of ISS
products during testing. So far, they have not provided product version
information when asked.

So, I strongly believe that the published results are not a reflection
of the quality of recent ISS product protection. Even so, I still
believe that the results demonstrate the strengths of the authors'
technology to expose limitations in an IDS/IPS product whether or not
the product is still relevant.

Paul