IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS and Spywares

From: "Jay Archibald" <jay.archibald () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:52:58 -0600

 Could anyone in the group name a few IDS which detect spywares. In my
view spywares are to
 be detected by an antivirus system and not by a network device.

Your view is correct in the regard that antivirus software should DETECT and
REMOVE spyware, but if you want to protect every device in a network from
the effects of spyware a good defense is still through an IDP or firewall.
Can you garantee every network host in your network has an anti-virus client
running with the latest definition updates?  Even if you can,
spyware/malware creators still have tricky ways of evading
anti-virus/anti-spyware scanners.  In my opinion, perimeter security is
still an effective way to secure a network.

Juniper/Netscreen's IDP systems detect and block spyware.  The nice thing
about their product is they catagorize the spyware into several different
catagories:  CRITICAL, HIGH, MEDIUM, LOW and INFO.  This makes it easier to
build IDS policies for blocking the critical alerts while only alerting on
the low.  They currently have over 300 spyware signatures.

They have a good IDP product, but I will say that it is excpensive when it
comes to the support contract costs.  One other thing I think they could
improve is providing details or references on spyware signatures like they
do with other catagories like HTTP or SMTP.

Jay Archibald
Student - Norwich University
Master of Science in Information Assurance