IDS mailing list archives

RE: Cisco IDS 4250 vs Sourcefire IS3000 + RNA Sensor

From: "Gary Halleen (ghalleen)" <ghalleen () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:00:03 -0700

Tom,

Cisco IPS is not simply an inline IDS.  Yes, it utilizes signatures to
identify attacks.  In addition, though, it performs these actions, all
of which are features of an IPS:

1.              Traffic Normalization
2.              Anomaly Detection
3.              Stateful Inspection
4.              Protocol Compliance
5.              Denial-of-Service (DoS) Protection

Our IPS was tested by NSS in their most recent testing, and the results,
which were quite good, are publicly available.  You can access the
report at http://www.nss.co.uk/ips/edition3/index.htm

I don't believe a network-based IPS exists yet that can truly provide
zero-day, or zero-hour, worm protection all by itself.  Utilizing
capabilities like netflow, perhaps a product can identify when a worm
may have infected, or is trying to infect, your network, but stop it?

We have a long-term agreement with Trend Micro, and provide very fast
protection against worms.  Our IPS products (appliances, blades, and IOS
routing software) are now able to have anti-worm and anti-virus
signatures applied automatically within minutes of a new worm or virus
being discovered in the wild.  Many people call this fast response to a
worm or virus "zero-day", but in my opinion this is simply fast response
to threats.  True zero-day protection implies that no updates are needed
at all to provide the protection, because protection occurs immediately.
Our true, zero-day protection is host-based with Cisco Security Agent
(CSA).

CSA is behavior-based, and does not utilize signatures at all.  It is
able to protect hosts from all types of attacks by defining what is
considered good and bad.  The base protections are predefined in the
product, but can obviously be modified all you like.

No single network device can ever provide 100% protection, regardless of
what a vendor may have told you.  They can strive to provide near-100%,
but real protection must be applied in layers, with each successive
layer enhancing the protection provided by the other layers.  This is
what our SAFE blueprint discusses.

You mention stateful firewalling as a feature of an IPS, but I disagree
with this assumption.  Stateful inspection of traffic is certainly a
feature, but not stateful firewalling, which implies all other features
of a firewall product, like network address translation and VPN.
Additionally, there is a big difference in the default policies deployed
on an IPS versus a firewall.  The default policy on an IPS is "Permit
all traffic except that which is malicious or explicitly defined."  The
default policy on a firewall is "Permit only traffic which is defined,
and deny all other traffic."  Proof of this difference in default
policies can be seen by simply looking at the perceived need for
software/hardware failure protection on IPS products.  Have you ever
heard a customer say "Hey Mr. Vendor, I want to make sure that if my
firewall fails, all traffic will pass unfiltered to the servers sitting
behind it."  However, this type of statement is common when they deploy
IPS.

For customers who desire IPS combined with stateful firewalling, we've
introduced our ASA-5500-series appliances.  With these products, you
combine best-of-breed firewall and IPS products in an easy to use
chassis.  You have very granular control over which traffic is
firewalled, and which traffic is also sent to the IPS.  You are also
able to choose whether the specified traffic is inspected inline or
passively, and you can combine both methods for different types of
traffic.

Gary