IDS mailing list archives

Re: location of an IPS

From: Seek Knowledge <aseeker03 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:41:16 +0100 (BST)

Doug...
I faced a similar problem when I tested the UnityOne.
My observations below may help to clarify some of your
questions:
1) For infrastructure protection... put the IPS in
front of the firewall (internet-side).
2) Many events are by default configured as
notify-only, some are block+notify and some are
block-only.
3) The ones that are notify have different "levels" of
notifying. I can't remember exactly what they are
called but in essence some will show up as stats only,
and some will have full block details associated with
them.
4) TP swears that they are blocking the vulnerability
itself and thus LanGuard scans don't actually trip the
vulnerability. We never came to a consensus on this
one. The standard PHF string contains the basis of the
buffer overflow exploit no matter what you change in
the attack string... TP did not out of the box catch
it. Actually... I don't remember if it ever did stop
the PHF's that I threw at it. My sniffers on the other
side of UnityOne recorded the full attack and by
exploit went through untouched. I basically use the
PHF signature the same way the anti-virus world uses
the EICAR file... to test to make sure the anti-virus
is working.

I hope someone from TP can help to clarify why they
think LanGuard doesn't give accurate results against
their product (i.e. is not detected) but other
products do detect it.

-Aseeker

--- Doug Fox <dfox168 () hotmail com> wrote:

I'm sorry for this dumb question, which may have
been answered many times.

Where should one place an TippingPoint Unity 50 IPS
device?  Behind or in
front of a firewall?

I have a/the TippingPoint behind a Check Point
firewall. Even though we
externally and internally port-scanned the firewall
and the IPS many times,
the activity log did not contain any record of the
"attacks".

What am I missing here?  Any pointers are
appreciated.

Thanks,

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708

to learn more.