IDS mailing list archives

RE: IPS comparison

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 10:39:08 -0500

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 20:23 +0100, Seek Knowledge wrote:
Actually...
It is either or when it comes to being in-line.

Heh... nope. You missed the point.

 Why
you ask? 1) Cost and 2) Infrastructure... both of
which I have to fight for. From a cost perspective...
I can deploy IDS without really purchasing anything
new... I recycle some hardware, put on Linux and throw
snort on it and I am good to go. IPS... I don't think
so.

But if you decide to buy an IPS, it doesn't prevent you from deploying
your free Snort sensors as well. They will then alert you when your IPS
fails. IDSes are complementary to any proactive IPS systems. IPSes don't
replace IDSes. That's what I meant by not being an either-or situation.

Of course, if your buying decision of an IPS means to you that you don't
see a need to deploy IDSes, then that's purely a decision you made.

Cheers,
Frank

--
Ciscogate: Shame on Cisco. Double-Shame on ISS.