IDS mailing list archives

Re: Auto-sensing for IPS devices

From: "Tim Holman" <tim_holman () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 17:41:24 +0100

If the IPS unit has a physical bypass function, which in effect joins the INT and EXT ports together, then port negotiation is of upmost importance. Autosense should work fine in most scenarios, but the important thing is that you test the IPS in both inline and bypass modes to ensure traffic is not disrupted. Extend these checks a little further by making sure STP operation and any link-state protocols aren't broken by doing this either. The most fun you'll have is with different manufacturer's GBICs. There can be a world of difference between hard coded 1000FDX and auto-sensed 1000FDX. Sounds the same, but it's not. Trust me... :)

Regards,

Tim

----- Original Message ----- From: <ferg () furg net>