IDS mailing list archives

RE: Tippingpoint

From: "Andrew Plato" <andrew.plato () anitian com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:16:04 -0700

DISCLAIMER: My company is a TippingPoint reseller.

Yes. I've used TP quite a bit. TippingPoint is definitely one of the
best IPSs on the market. It's the closest thing to a "set it and forget
it" IPS. Management, reporting, and detection are all intuitive and
robust. Performance is outstanding. Most TP models top out with a
200-300 MICROsecond latency (and that at full-load and with attacks.)
Nobody can beat those kinds of numbers.

One of the best things about TippingPoint is that you can have them up
and running in under an hour. Unlike most IPSs which require a lot of
tuning and configuration, TP comes out of the box ready to use. And the
default settings will block a lot.

TP is probably the only IPS I would feel totally comfortable installing
into an environment where there was very low tolerance for
false-positives.

I have about a dozen customers (enterprise-size) who have evaluated TP
against ISS, Juniper, CheckPoint, Cisco, and Symantec. All of them found
TP to be the overall best choice.

One question you should ask yourself is how you intend to use the IPS.
If you are looking for an IPS that will give you minimal administration
headaches and will proactively defend your network - TP is the way to
go.  If you want more of a "forensic" IPS that is very flexible with a
lot of audit-style signatures, Juniper or ISS are the way to go. Cisco,
Symantec, and CheckPoint are, in my opinion, all second-rate IPSs.

Good luck.

______________________________________
Andrew Plato, CISSP
President/Principal Consultant
ANITIAN ENTERPRISE SECURITY
Your EXPERT Partner for Security & Networking

3800 SW Cedar Hills Blvd, Suite 280
Beaverton, OR 97005
503-644-5656 Office
503-214-8069 Fax
503-201-0821 Mobile
www.anitian.com

GPG public key available at: http://www.anitian.com/corp/keys.htm

Does anyone have any experience or opinions with Tippingpoint ?

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from
CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.