IDS mailing list archives

Re: Useful NADS

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:18:42 -0400

One final post on this subject...

Regarding NADS vs. IDS/IPS. What are the real competitive differentiators?

1. Cost effectiveness. Anywhere you have a Cisco router, you have an
"observation point" that can feed the NADS technology. This means remote
sites, core and distribution areas, as well as perimeter uplinks to partners
and the Internet itself. No hardware deployment required. No
ping-power-pipe. No break/fix.

2. Speed and performance. NetFlow cares not about bandwidth, only about
flows per second. I've seen StealthWatch boxes that were monitoring 7
gigabits per second worth of network traffic across 150,000+ IP nodes.

3. Ability to overcome asymmetric routing. Given the fact that flow-enabled
NBAD technologies can collect from opposite ends of a large network campus,
flows that enter and leave at different areas of the network are reassembled
into a single stateful entry. Asym environments present significant
challenges for TCP state machines included in most IDS/IPS pattern matching
products.

4. Forensics capabilities. All flows are recorded regardless of good or bad
designation. This provides a 24x7 account of who talked to who, how much
they talked, and what kind of communication was involved. Vastly superior to
the best firewall logs.

5. Ability to see everywhere at once. Short of heavy RSPAN technology,
IDS/IPS technologies have an extremely myopic view of the network.
Flow-enabled NBAD technology can actually watch as a worm or other network
event propagates from one site to the next to the next, putting the whole
event together into a single view for the analyst and analysis engine.

6. Network awareness. StealthWatch offers "closest router determination"
technology that actually tells the operator and the underlying mitigation
infrastructure what router is closest to the host in question. This allows
for laser sharp installation of Null0 routes, ACLs, and port disablement.

7. There are more but I'll stop here in the interest of your (and my) time.

** Note that I've left out zero-day and that marketing mumbo jumbo. I think
this topic has been well covered in this forum and via marketing materials
from NADS vendors.

-AP