IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:13:13 -0500

I agree with Alan here.

Andrew, I've watched several of your posts now over the past months and
on several occasions bit my tongue, but I do have to step up here. You
represent several COTS (Commercial off-the-shelf) IPS vendors and have
admitted to, so please be careful when posturing them against open
source tools such as Snort -- know what you're talking about when it
comes to Snort's capabilities if you are going to make claims as to what
its unable to do when compared to COTS solutions.

I agree that tailing snort alert files in an Enterprise is not exactly
the pretty GUI you get with ISS or Tipping Point. But thats after a
vanilla untar and compile. Their does exist commercial Snort management
solutions that offer polished GUIs for managing Snort rules and events,
such as ours, and Alan's as he noted.

Your point about Snort not having those commercial IPS capabilities is
plain wrong and shows that you know very little about the market and
commercial landscape and its adoption of Snort in the enterprise. Snort
is used by organizations with analysts that can translate HEX on the fly
and those who have no idea what HEX is. Its not just for packet monkeys
my friend. Large Fortune 5 organizations and a lot of large military and
defense networks will take a Snort sensor over a $30,000 COTS IDS/IPS
any day and have even see some organizations throw out commercial
solutions for open source Nessus or Snort. Its clear you just don't know
enough about open source adoption in the enterprise to make the
statement you made.

We have over 600 installations of our Snort management suite and a lot
of those organizations lack the "analytical capabilities" as you put it,
and still use Snort. Also, I beg to ask how it is you think a commercial
IPS capable of "filtering out known vulnerabilities offering a layer of
protection" is something Snort is unable to do. Your contrast  between
the two doesn't make sense.

If you are going to boast commercial IDS/IPS solutions on mailing lists
because you sell them, great, but be careful when choosing to say they
are better than Tom, Dick, or Harry when you have no idea if the reasons
you are citing are even true.

Best Regards,

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC
1095 Pingree Road
Suite 213
Crystal Lake, IL 60014
Toll Free: (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Direct: (847) 854-2725 ext:327
Fax: (847) 854-5106
Web: http://www.appliedwatch.com
Email: eric.hines () appliedwatch com

"Enterprise Open Source Security Management"

Alan Shimel wrote:
Andrew

While I can appreciate what you are saying, your own commercial position
makes it difficult to put much weight behind what you are saying.  The sheer
number of people using snort sensors would seem to indicate other than what
you are saying.  Also, the many products that give pure, vanilla snort a
polished commercial feel, are a fine match for many of the products you
mention.  Our own freeware IPS, strata guard free
(http://www.stillsecure.org), which is snort based, is a perfect example of
this.  It probably does as good a job on the false positives as any of the
"commercial" products you mention.

It is a wide market out there!

alan

StillSecure
Alan Shimel
Chief Strategy Officer

O 303.381.3815
C 516.857.7409
F 303.381.3881
email ashimel () stillsecure com
blog http://ashimmy.typepad.com

www.stillsecure.com
to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential material.
Review or other use of this information by persons other than
the intended recipient is prohibited. If you've received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete
from any computer.