IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:58:36 -0500

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 11:58 +0000, nightelfhunter () yahoo com wrote:
I to a degree tend to sympathise with many CSO/CTO's in our industry
today. They have the tough job of managing complex information systems
added to that the responsibility of ensuring that these systems run
seamlessly and without hinderance....

Sorry for the late reply, but this comment struck a chord. I think
CSO/CTO folks are partly at fault. Part of their job should be to
decomplexify (or call it simplify if you like ;) todays information
systems.

It seems to me that the whole industry is suffering from feature and
complexity bloat, much to the expense of security and productivity. It
should be a goal to a) realize that bloat exists, and b) take measures
to simplify the IT infrastructure/operations. You *can* achieve the same
results with a less complex system if you just try. The problem is that
most "applications" these days are far more complex and bloated than
what they need to be. Be carefully selecting and redesigning IT
infrastructure and operations/use, a lot of the current problems in IT
can be eliminated.

Regards,
Frank

Musing: The avalanche is already in progress. Folks should try to move
to the sidelines instead of staying ahead of the flow... it will catch
up with you eventually.

--
against your ports.