IDS mailing list archives

RE: Signatures taking down network

From: "Craddock, Larry" <l_craddock () wfec com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:03:31 -0600

We've been running a TippingPoint IPS for over a year now without a single
failure of any kind. However, when we first installed the box it ran a few
hours and died immediately after installing the latest signatures. I
restarted it and once again it ran a few hours and died. We had temporarily
connected the management interface to one of the same network segments it was
protecting so I went ahead and setup an isolated management network and
connected the management interface there and it ran without problems. Just to
be sure that was the problem, I connected the management interface back to a
protected segment and once again it died after a few hours. With the
management interface connected to an isolated network it has never failed. I
load the signatures as soon as possible after receiving notice and have never
experienced a problem from them.

Larry Craddock