IDS mailing list archives

Re: ISS - virtual patching

From: "David Maynor" <dmaynor () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:29:28 -0400

You are making some assumptions here:

1. You find out about the vuln the same time ISS does. Due to excellent
threat intelligent and a top notch Research and Development team they are
likely to know about the threat long before you do.

2. The fact that a security vendor actually has the ability to test traffic
in the wild is pretty impressive and should be considered the standard.
Protocols are updated all the time, traffic changes constantly, the only way
to make sure you are hitting the bad traffic and not blocking the good is
real world testing. Since I use to be in R&D at ISS there I will say 8 weeks
is a bit much, but the sig soak in periods are more than enough to shake
alot of false positives out.