IDS mailing list archives

Re: A Neural Network to detect polymorphic shellcodes

From: Dragos Ruiu <dr () kyx net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:39:52 -0700

I am loking for project that implement Neural Networks and spectrum
analysis to detect polymorphic shellcodes such as those of ADMutate.

Please if you have any links or if your ever workd on such projects I need
your help!

I especialy need to know what could be the imputs of the Neural Network and
how I can train it.

Well training it would require a plentiful supply of real world shellcodes,
and lots of mutated copies.

A simpler strategy is to look for distinguishing features of the mutator.
I wrote such a preprocessor to detect mutated NOP sleds for snort a
while back. Search for "spp_fnord.c" in bugtraq archives and you
should find it.

cheers,
--dr

--
World Security Pros. Cutting Edge Training, Tools, and Techniques
Tokyo, Japan    November 27-30 2006    http://pacsec.jp

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.