IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: nightelfhunter () yahoo com
Date: 21 Mar 2006 11:58:00 -0000

I to a degree tend to sympathise with many CSO/CTO's in our industry today. They have the tough job of managing complex
information systems added to that the responsibility of ensuring that these systems run seamlessly and without
hinderance....however,

If we are to get ahead and stay ahead of the attack community we need to ensure that the most appropriate tools are
employed to ensure every available asset is able to be utilised if and when required. So, although the IPS technologies
available today are an evolution of IDS which in itself is understandable, the maturity of the technology is IMHO
irrelevant. What is important is that the technologists who deploy, manage and support these systems are sufficiently
educated to do so, and understand the environment that the information systems operate in so that when the inevitable
attack occurs they are able too mitigate it

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.