IDS mailing list archives

Re: New Azwalaro project, is a French Open Source Nids project

From: Eric Hines <eric.hines () appliedwatch com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:31:35 -0500

I've been sitting idle on this thread without saying anything but I find
it impossible to sit quiet any longer without putting in my 2 cents.

I'm actually quite saddened that a few of you decided to sling mud at
this gentleman for announcing his new open source NIDS project -- would
you have done the same when Snort was first announced?

I say, the more the merrier. More options, more ideas, more innovation.

After all, innovation is what got us to where we are now. Long before
Snort there was Shadow, then Snort, and everything in between and
before. I welcome any other newcomers. I'm sure their are other things
we can do besides attacking developers for offering a new and innovative
IDS project that they've taken the time to develop, like supporting them
as an open source project for their contributions to the open source
community.

Competition drives innovation. With advancements in Intrusion Detection
System technology in other non-Snort IDS projects will fuel further
advancements in Snort, and vice versa.

Come on, their is more than enough room in the proverbial sandbox for
everyone to play in.

Best Regards,

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Eric S. Hines, GCIA, CISSP
CEO, President, Chairman
Applied Watch Technologies, LLC

Email:   eric.hines () appliedwatch com
Address: 1095 Pingree Road
         Suite 221
         Crystal Lake, IL
         60014
Tel:     (877) 262-7593 ext:327
Fax:     (847) 854-5106
Web:     http://www.appliedwatch.com

Security Management for the Open Source Enterprise

Moyer, Shawn - St. Louis, MO wrote:
Very, very true. Keep in mind the Prelude guys aren't even doing this
any more, they've deprecated their own YARBIDS and output_prelude is
part of the vanilla Snort source now. Wish folks would invest all this
effort in something where there aren't three or four existing OSS tools,
like say, vuln scanning... :)

-- shawn

Well, this is a pity, because working on Snort or Bro or Prelude would
have benefited the community a lot more than starting YARBIDS (Yet
Another Rule Based IDS)...

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.