IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS Datasets

From: Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:45:21 +0200

trantichphuoc () yahoo com wrote:

data published by MIT & DARPA (http://www.ll.mit.edu/IST/ideval/)

1. This dataset was published since 1999, which is quite long time

It is not just outdated, it also contains a lot of artifacts and
well-known mistakes.

ago. However, since then, there is no other "wellknown" dataset of
IDS published. I would like to ask if there is some good IDS datasets
(ready for AI techniques) but I am not aware of?

Simple answer: no, particularly if you are looking for a labeled dataset.

2. What is tcp-dump?

http://www.tcpdump.org/tcpdump_man.html

What I got from the DARPA dataset was a text file with several lines,

There are also .tcpdump files that are packet captures in libpcap format.

Best,
Stefano Zanero

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.