IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS 4215, right place for a sniffing interface (DMZ or LAN)

From: Gary Halleen <ghalleen () cisco com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:21:45 -0700

It doesn't matter which interface is used for sensing and which for
monitoring as long as you use one for each.

Gary

On 4/4/07 7:48 PM, "zillah" <forwardtruth () yahoo com> wrote:

The first thing you need to do is upgrade your sensor to version 5.1 or
6.0.
You have 4.1 software, which is no longer supported.  If you have
maintenance on your sensor, the upgrade is no charge.  If you do not have
maintenance (called Services for IPS), then you'll need to take care of
that
first.

Thanks Gary, yes I am aware of that.

The 4215 sensor has only two interfaces, and you need one for command and
control.  This is the interface that you'll assign an IP address to and
use
for management purposes.

Yes you are right .
According to the specification in the table 5-2 (under IDS 4125, same as
mine) from the link that I have posted for IDS 4125 , FastEthernet  0/1
should be for sensing purposes,,,,,,,,,,my case since I am looking to
monitor a traffic in the DMZ area, I should use Etherent 1 (not 0) for
monitoring (sensing) , right now Ethernet 0 (not 1) was used, and I guess
this is wrong ,,,,,,here was my query ?

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.