IDS mailing list archives

Re: Is this for real?

From: "Matt D. Harris" <mdh () solitox net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:06:45 -0400

It's theoretically possible that an IDS could use a combination of information about the intruder and information from the intruder (in this case, the person jumping onto an open access point is austensibly going to use it for something) to determine some information about them. On the other hand, if someone's just war-driving, grapping arp info, and then port-scanning/attempting to compromise the machines it can find on the local subnet then it's unlikely you can get any useful information. The other option being that this thing attempts to compromise systems on your own network that aren't authorized, in order to determine more information. Since I don't know the source of these claims, it's hard to judge reputability in any sense.

I don't see any information about the specific product you're referring to here or links to it, do you have a link? I'd be interested to do some more looking and see how the author claims it works.
Take care, mdh.

phil.johnson () mdp com wrote:
IDS with Intruder Identification System (IIS) - "identifies wireless piggybackers".

dontstealmywifi

provides the identity of the attacker...?

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw to learn more.

--
/*
 * Matt D. Harris         <mdh () solitox net>