IDS mailing list archives

Re: Detecting covert data channels?

From: Kowsik <kowsik () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 22:59:06 -0700

Try this: http://www.icir.org/vern/papers/backdoor/

It works like a charm. It mostly uses heuristics (packet lengths and
frequency of small packets) and doesn't care about the contents of the
packets.

The main caveat, though, is that this algorithm picks up an
interactive backdoor (someone typing something over an encrypted
channel), not a scripted one

K.