IDS mailing list archives

RE: Asymmetric traffic/topology

From: "Srinivasa Addepalli" <srao () intoto com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 13:43:31 -0800

Based on the feedback which we got from our customers on security products,
it appears that this is not un-common, especially in SME deployments. We
don't see this issue if security devices are deployed at the edge though.
When deployment happens in the core of Enterprise networks, these scenarios
are observed.

Stateful security devices fail in these cases as they don't see all packets
of session and due to this they may even drop packets. For example, stateful
security device drops SYN+ACK packet if it did not see SYN packet before.

Due to customer demand, we had to add 'Bypass security processing'
functionality to bypass packets on configured networks to satisfy these
deployments. Of course the default behavior does not bypass any security
processing.

Srini