IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS detection approaches

From: p1g <killfactory () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:24:08 -0400

What do you think is the most probable approach that will complement
the signature based approach in the recent future?

There are alot of options for complementing signature based.

There are programs that will coorelated IDS events with system event logs.

There is Behavioural Analysis. Mazu, IBM consult, Enterasys all do this.

Combined with NetFlow analysis.

With all this information you need a Security Information Manager to
massage this data into some useful information. Something that you can
act upon.

I use Enterasys' Dragon Security Command Console(SIM).
I combine this with their Dragon IDS(signature based) and behavioural sensor.

This allows me to coorelated Win32 eventlogs, webserver logs, DB logs,
NetFlow feeds,
IDS events, AV alerts, Firewall logs, VPN logs, etc.

DSCC also allows me to combine vulnerability information on all of my assets.
This information can be use to help triage offenses.

The DSCC will manage nessus and nmap remotely.

It is alot of work to setup and configure an accurate SIM.

But it is a great exercise in getting to know your environment.  :)