IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS/IPS system with Foundry sFlow

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:18:13 -0400

I have seen snort sFlow integrations done a few times times with varying
degrees of success. Definitely worth exploring as it doesn't cost ya much
other than your time. Problems with sample rates and TCP state are the
biggest barriers for serious content inspection.

1 in 128 is about the lowest most vendors recommend and even at that low
sample rate your already at 99%+ packet loss from snort's perspective.
Specially tuned sigs can be crafted to deal with the sparse content but I'm
not sure how many of other exist. I'm sure Marty can comment.

BTW: Snort syslog can be fed into the StealthWatch sFlow collector for
contextual reporting and event association.