IDS mailing list archives

Re: Remote File include (RFI) vulnerabilities

From: "Jamie Riden" <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:03:08 +0100

2008/7/16 Ravi Chunduru <ravi.is.chunduru () gmail com>:
Hi,

I am using IntruPro-IPS to protect both servers and clients.  It seems
to be flagging RFI related anomalies for traffic going from  internal
clients to servers  in Internet.  I thought these attacks need to be
detected only if the internal servers are being attacked. That is, I
think that RFI detection is  needed for server protection.

is it necessary to check the internal client traffic, that is, is this
needed for client side protection.  Any reasons?

I used to find outgoing alerts more useful than incoming - if an
internal client is sending malicious traffic, you know you have a
serious problem! In contrast, incoming alerts will tell you about a
whole load of failed attacks that you may well be patched against.

Rule tuning on IDS varies from site to site, so I'm not going to tell
you what you should be doing - do whatever you find most helpful.

cheers,
 Jamie
--
Jamie Riden / jamesr () europe com / jamie () honeynet org uk
UK Honeynet Project: http://www.ukhoneynet.org/

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.