IDS mailing list archives

Re: CVE selection for IDS/IPS signature rules

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:35:41 -0400

Ravi Chunduru wrote:
Hi,

There are over 30000 CVE vulnerability reports.  Many IDS/IPS devices
have around 4000-5000 signature rules. My guess is that these
signatures may cover (detect)around 4000-7000 attacks.  23000 to 26000
CVEs, that is, significant number of CVEs are not covered by IDS/IPS
devices.

I am guessing that there is reason for this. IDS/IPS vendors may be
selecting few CVEs for developing signatures. What is the selection
criteria followed in industry? One criteria, I know is that Network
IDS/IPS devices don't need to worry about attacks that can only be
mounted on the local machine, that is,  NIDS/NIPS devices only need to
worry about detection of attacks mounted remotely. Are there any other
considerations?

Thanks
Ravi

Hi Ravi,

There are several reasons, probably more.

Some NIDS vendors try to code for generic exploit vectors and not
specific vulnerabilities. Some try to do both.

Many of the CVEs not covered are for products that have come and
gone, are very old, don't work over TCP/IP and so on.

Some CVE entries focus on weak encryption and denial of service
attacks which can be difficult to see with NIDS technology.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security
http://www.nessus.org

Test Your IDS