IDS mailing list archives

Re: Email reputation for inout to IDSs?

From: Joel Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:37:45 -0700

 There are a few IPS/IDS solutions out there utilizing email reputation
> as part of their solutions, and they primarily get their strength from a
> centralized managed db on the part of the vendor supplying the solution.

I haven't seen this actually happening; do you have specific products in mind? Other than 'intention,' it doesn't seem to have been rolled out yet.

In general, though, I agree with you: this is great stuff... potentially.

Incorporating reputation services (not just email, but web as well) into IDPs is an outstanding way to help provide the IDP with additional information that might help it to do a better job.

In the simplest case, this information could be correlated at the console so that IDS-ish activity can be prioritized by 'known bad actors.' The prevalent behavior of many network managers in applying bias to their firewalls (e.g., PIX shun or Check Point SAM) based on past bad behavior is an example of why this would be successful and useful.

In other words, I am MUCH more interested in an alert if it comes from someone with a known bad reputation. These are more likely to require action on the part of the network manager, or at least to be 'interesting' in the sense of understanding a threat pattern or ongoing robot-based attack. That alone should help to bubble up alerts in the console of the IDS.

For example, correlating the Spamhaus PBL (policy block list, essentially a list of IPs which have been defined by their owners as 'these guys should never be sending mail directly') with IDS alerts would be outstanding information, because anyone on the PBL generating a alert is likely to be bot-infected or intentionally malicious. What you do with that... I don't know directly, but anything that can help to provide greater context in IDS alerts is obviously of value.

In a more complex case, the presence of an IP on a reputation service (again, email or web, since they are merging with the significant vendors of these services) could also affect the behavior of an IDP when it comes to actually dropping or resetting connections. This is obviously harder to manage and now begins to tread on the territory of other products.

For example, a standard Web Security Gateway (pick Cisco's WSA as an example, but there are a dozen of these products) already is blocking connections from end-user clients to bad-reputation web sites. If the IPS started doing the same, this could either be a defense-in-depth strategy (two reputation services are better than one?) or might be useful in an environment where the enterprise did not have a Web Security Gateway but wanted to fold that functionality into their existing IPS. See, for example, the build-up of UTM firewalls as a precedent for this.

I think that it seems obvious that, given the level of sophistication of existing IDP detection engines, anything that we can do to give them "more intelligence" is a step in the right direction.

This could happen at detection-time or at analysis-time, as I've mentioned above--and these are certainly not the only places where it could be useful.

It seems to me that given the purchase of Ironport (with their Senderbase web/email reputation service) by Cisco and the purchase of Ciphertrust by Secure Computing by McAfee (with their TrustedSender web/email reputation service) presages the integration of these technologies into IDP products. Whether folks like Sourcefire will be able to forge (useful) alliances with semi-open-source products like Spamhaus or commercial products like Commtouch remains to be seen, but certainly if/when Cisco and McAfee start pushing integration, there will be pressure on for everyone to start folding this in.

jms

--
Joel M Snyder, 1404 East Lind Road, Tucson, AZ, 85719
Senior Partner, Opus One       Phone: +1 520 324 0494

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw to learn more.